Recognition

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Just Us Girls #626 -- WORD Week



I am
 hosting WORD week at Just Us Girls.  I would like you to draw inspiration from the word EGG.  Easter is approaching and I would not surprised if many of you thought Easter egg...but what about nest eggs, fried eggs,  Cadbury eggs (yum!), ostrich eggs... oh, so many eggs!

When I was a kid (long long time ago), my grandmother and her sisters lived in the Bronx, in a neighborhood called Fordham that bordered the Grand Concourse.  I loved being able to go into the city to see them because there was always something fun to do.  There was a bakery called Krums (long out of business), and at Easter they would make large, hollowed out eggs from something sparkly and sugary.  There would be a small hole at one end and you could look in and see a cute Easter scene.  I have no idea how they made those eggs but they are as clear as day in my mind.  Thus the origin of my card.

I made an Easter egg filled with bunnies and flowers set in pink glitter.  I messed up the sentiment when my hand slipped.  Have you ever had that happen?  Like most cardmakers, I found a fix. I created a sentiment strip and overlaid the mistake.  It is a shame.  The card would have been so much cleaner without the added strip.

Please check out the design team.  These ladies work hard to inspire you each week.  Drop by their blogs and leave them a little love.

Enjoy!  I am looking forward to your egg-inspired creations in the galley. 

Project Details
Stamps/DiesImpression Obsession Bunnies
Mama Elephant All Prettied Up (bowtie)
Poppystamps Grand Egg
Paper Smooches Mini Flowers
Memory Box sentiment
Cardstock    110lb. Neenah Solar Crest
Scrap cardstock
Felt
 Ink Memento Tuxedo Black
Copic markers
Embellishments Magic Amy's Fine Hot Pink Glitter
Other Dahle Personal Rotary Cutter
Scor Pal Mini Score Board
Sizzix Big Shot Die Cutting
Bearly Art Precision Glue
Scortape
3M foam tape

10 comments:

cm said...

Elizabeth, I love your card and especially love that you shared the source of your inspiration! I would so enjoy seeing the 'real' eggs with the scenes; your transformation into a card is both gorgeous and heart-warming!
~carol

Bobby said...

I remember those eggs, or ones like them, Elizabeth. Your recreation of one is so much fun with the pink sparkles and darling little bunnies.

Lisa Elton said...

Your card is as fabulous as those bakery eggs sound! I have those IO bunnies and you've inspired me to use them in a new way!

Mac Mable said...

I loved reading the inspiration behind your wonderful card. What fabulous memories. Such a creative and unique card and I like the sentiment strip too x.

Nancy said...

This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing a tid-bit of your life with us and where the idea came from. Your creativity amazes me each and every week! Awesome, awesome card!

Carol said...

What a darling card! The sparkle in your background totally reminds me of those decorated eggs made of sugar (?) with the end open to reveal a scene inside! I adored them as a child! Really cute card!!!!!!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Super cute bunnies inside the "egg" -- :)

Ina G said...

Love your bunnies inside that big egg Elizabeth. So colourful with that pretty bow. Lovely sentiment.Thanks for sharing that lovely story too.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I love your darling little bunnies and flowers on your sparkly egg! Great inspiration story and great choice of word for our challenge this week.

Lisa Kind said...

I remember seeing those sugary eggs too when I was little. I love your interpretation of it! This is so pretty! Great challenge this week!