Recognition

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Just Us Girls #599 - Photo Week


Lisa is hosting PHOTO week and challenging us to create cards inspired by the photo below.   When I first saw this photo, I saw bokeh.  If you have not made a bokeh card, give it a try, it's a lot of fun.  I started with an A2 panel and distressed it with three muted blues: Chipped Sapphire, Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans.  As I was distressing and thinking about the next distress layers of Squeezed Lemonade and white, I envisioned fireflies!  So I added a white embossed mason jar outline from Papertrey Ink.  The small fireflies are from Avery Elle's Storybook (one of those tiny images we never use!).  The fireflies are stamped, Copic-colored and fussy cut.  The white embossed sentiment is from Savvy Stamps.

After the card was completed, I realized something was missing.  The fire in firefly!  I pulled out my Chibi electronics kit and added two small lights to the fireflies in the jar.  Since the card was complete, when I decided to add the circuit, the battery and lines are inside the card.  If you are interested in how to add light to your card, see Jennifer McGuire's tutorial.

Be sure to stop by each of the DT member blogs, check out their cards, and leave them a bit of love.

Happy crafting.  I am looking forward to your submissions.

Elizabeth

10 comments:

Carol Cel said...

This is perfect!!! Great way to combine elements. The recipient (if you can bare to part with it), will LOVE it.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Fabulous interpretation on that photo! I love your bokeh background with all of those awesome fireflies. Love the glow around the fireflies, too. The added Chibi lights to the ones in the jar are the perfect finishing touch!

Nancy said...

I love that you took this great card to the next level with the added lights! Awesome job! Take care!

Vicki Dutcher said...

So fun! I love lightning bugs and your card is awesome use of them ;)

Ina G said...

Oh Elizabeth I loooooove your fire flies flying away out of your jar. They look amazing especially with the bokeh look. Very clever thinking with this weeks colours.

Claire said...

What a great idea to use bokeh, Elizabeth. Those fireflies completely pop against the background!

Lisa Kind said...

This is so cool! I love your interpretation, and the lights put it over the edge! Love it!

Macimbalo said...

So creative and clever - love your take on the challenge!

Bobby said...

A light-up card! How wonderful, Elizabeth. This brings back memories of catching fireflies. Love it!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow! What an amazing design! Bokeh is such a clever idea and adding light to the fireflies in the jar is genius.