Recognition

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Just Us Girls #674 -- WORD Week


The very crafty Carol Mc.
 is hosting WORD week at Just Us Girls.  Carol would like us to think about the word SUNSHINE and incorporate our inspiration in our cards. I made a fairly simple card but there was several lessons learned.  I live in Florida and it has been very warm and sunny here.  Some days it is so bright that you can feel blinded. I imaged a very yellow base crinkled to reflect the heat. Here is my process.  You can let me know what you think.

Middle card: My first attempt at this card (and the card I chose to feature) is yellow and orange alcohol ink on Yupo paper.  However when I went to emboss the Yupo panel, I learned that Yupo does not really emboss. You can see that the card is marked but there is no dimension, and I used a 3D embossing folder.

Righthand card: My next attempt used "alcohol ink" DSP. Lots of dimension from the DSP but the color was not quite right.

Lefthand card: My final attempt used alcohol ink on glossy cardstock. Lots of dimension but again the color was not quite right.  Using alcohol ink on Yupo is so much easier than glossy cardstock.  The two colors used blended well on Yupo but looks splotchy on glossy cardstock.

Hopefully my trials are helpful and provide you a bit more crafty knowledge!

Joanne James is our fabulous guest designer for April. I have known Joanne for quite awhile.  Her work is consistently wonderful, and her site is chock full of information. Please welcome her and check out her fabulous work at Crafty Owl!

Also check out the design team.  These ladies work hard to inspire you each week.  Drop by their blogs and leave them a little love.

Enjoy!  I am looking forward to your inspired creations in the gallery. 

Project Details
Stamps/DiesSimon Says Stamp Hello Sunshine
We R Memory Keepers crinkle embossing folder
Cardstock   110lb. Neenah Solar Crest
Yupo paper
American Crafts Sunset DSP
Glossy cardstock
 Ink
EmbellishmentsLittle Things by Lucy's Cards gems
OtherDahle Personal Rotary Cutter
Scor Pal Mini Score Board
Sizzix Big Shot Die Cutting
Ranger Stamp Platform
Bearly Art Precision Glue
3M ATG 714 Tape Adhesive

11 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

This is amazing! Such a “sunny” card 😀

Carol said...

I have been waiting to read your blog post since I first saw your card. I love the result of the middle card. It looks like crackled glass... beautiful! Great take on Sunshine!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing your results using alcohol ink on different papers then embossing! I love the look on the Yupo! Even if it doesn't have the dimension, it has a lovely pattern and gorgeous color!

cm said...

Your techniques with alcohol ink and embossing with different papers netted some cool results, all of which are pretty. The one you posted is especially eye-catching with the vibrant sunny palette and 'crackle' effect. Sunshine sensational, indeed!
~carol

Nancy said...

All of your cards are so cool, Elizabeth! The one that you shared a large enough photo of looks like glass. Next time I would love to see large photos of all of them. Awesome job!

Bobby said...

I think I like your card without the dimension, Elizabeth. It looks amazing with the lines.

Lisa Elton said...

The crinkles are such a great idea! This is cool, Elizabeth!

Ina G said...

When I first saw this card I couldn't wait to see how you made it. What a stunning result you achieved here Elizabeth, So glad you shared your other cards as they are lovely too.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Love how you achieved all of those fabulous backgrounds, definitely sunny! This made me go in search of a crinkled embossing folder and yes it arrived yesterday.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I love that bright yellow background Elizabeth and was fascinated to read about your trials and experiments - it's always good to hear about the ones that don't make the cut (we are our own worst critics!) Your card screams sunshine to me and I love the almost crackle-glaze effect of your featured card. Thanks for the kind words too - I am having so much fun playing along with you ladies this month!

Lisa Kind said...

Such a cool technique! At first I thought it was the broken glass technique, but yours was much easier. Love the super bright color!